Saturday, February 09, 2008

Still standing

Today I mark my twenty-fifth trip around the Sun, and what a year it's been since this time last year. Those of you who know me, know that it is only by God's grace that I have made it, and I give Him the thanks that twelve months later, I'm still standing. But even on this day, as I give thanks for God's mercy to me, I have to call your attention to another man who many never believed would be standing on February 9 in 2008. That man is Mike Huckabee.

I know many of you have asked me why I continually (and stubbornly) stand up for the underdog Governor from Arkansas. And many times, I have tried to give talking points about why I believe Mike Huckabee's policy positions make sense for America and would be better than any alternative I currently see.

But one of the things that I often fail to mention about the Governor is his uncanny ability to lead. He is a man of conviction, of character, and of hope -- a man that I believe can truly help us find what Ronald Reagan called "morning in America" all over again.

I know that many of my friends are progressives, people whose hope has been be raised by Senator Obama, who believe that this man who stands for change can lead America into a new Camelot. I believe that however sincere, they are wrong. I admire Senator Obama's rhetoric, but his policies and inexperience would be an utter disaster for America.

I also know that many of my friends who are conservatives believe that we can rally behind an elder statesman who will lead us in the fight against Isalmofascism. And while I believe that Senator McCain is a strong leader of immense character, I fear that too many Americans would see him linked with the errors that we conservatives made during our time in power; I fear that he would be but a foil and a prelude to the coronation of a Democratic presidency.

And so, I must ask all my friends to once again, as we stand on the precipice of a decision about who will be the next President of these United States, to consider Governor Mike Huckabee.

I write today because it was today that the Governor stopped to speak at the annual meeting of CPAC, the largest conservative political group in America -- the same forum where Governor Mitt Romney withdrew his candidacy for President. And it was there, today, that Governor Huckabee reminded conservatives -- and Americans -- that he is still standing. He boldly, eloquently, and powerfully stated his case for why he should be the next President of the United States.

The speech is about ten minutes; I invite you to open you mind, be willing to consider, and watch the video. It is available online, here.

After you have watched it, I believe that you, too, will see the rays of dawn approaching over the horizon. If Mike Huckabee is elected, it will be morning in America, again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home