Tuesday, January 02, 2007

If there's a war on Christmas, January 1 must be Tokyo Bay

Obviously (I say obviously, because surely-to-goodness if you've read my blog, you know this), I'm a Christian (at least, I'm doing the best that I can, with God's help). I celebrate God becoming the God-Man Jesus, otherwise known as Christmas; its prequel, Advent; and its sequel, Epiphany.

Like some people, I'm not a big fan of the generic "Happy Holidays" (important note: I do not advocate making everyone else celebrate Christmas with me, but I want people to say "Happy Hanukah" and "Blessed Ramandan" along with Christmas greetings -- in other words, I don't want the faith-filled celebrations that men and women of good cheer enjoy swallowed up by the meaningless, pointless, materialistic, and secular "winter holiday" that, to me, "Happy Holidays" connotes).

At the same time, I am somewhat annoyed by the lambasting that goes on around the whole greetings-war, a.k.a., the "War on Christmas."

It seems that every year people get up in arms about it -- and I have to admit, it has brought "Merry Christmas" back into vogue a bit. At the same time, though, I deplore the fact, noticed by Christianity Today's weblog, that some of Christmas' loudest defenders are the first to turn tail and run after New Year's.

Even Rogersville wasn't immune: our beautiful downtown, which was dressed "to the nines" for this year's Christmas festivities, was de-frocked just in time for 2007.

I think this quote from CT sums it up well:
In the Christian calendar, Christmas continues until Epiphany (January 6). So if you take your decorations down this weekend, are you part of the "war on Christmas"? On a similar note, why have almost all the organizations that made such a big deal about putting Christ back in Christmas already dropped references to Christmas from their website home pages? Was all that really just about the shopping season?
FEELING: Like celebrating Christmas 'til January 6

LISTENING TO: Voices from the "cloud of witnesses," the Christians who came before and who, for something like 1,800 years, have observed the Christian calendar

NOTE: See this article to understand the significance of the title of this entry in relation to its subject.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home