Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Obvious: Lonely people need friends

There are many people I've met along the way who seem to find it difficult to make friends. Or, if they do find a way to make deep and lasting relationships with others, there are only a few who manage to make it past all the walls in their lives to really get into their sanctum sanctorum. It turns out, I'm not the only person to notice just how isolated people seem these days.

A recent article I read talked about the isolation and loneliness that people feel today, and how that sense of emptiness has grown in our society over the past 25-30 years.

At the same time the article also points out, to its Christian audience, that as believers (and therefore friends of Jesus), they are called to reach out to people in a real, meaningful way -- by sacrificing the time and making the commitment that truly deep friendships require.

I know in my own life, this has become something of a challenge to put into practice, and it has been something that I sorely miss from college.

At Vanderbilt, I had a close circle of brothers and sister in Christ who supported me and held me accountable to a daily walk with Him; this deep drinking of relationship, this communion, is exactly what the first Followers of the Way found upon their acceptance into the Body of Christ, the new community of God's people, the Church.

And it is that communion, that koinonia, that we must first demonstrate to, and then share with, the lonely and hurting people around us.

FEELING: Challenged
LISTENING TO: Sounds of the Lucille Beeson Library

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home