Thursday, December 15, 2005

The campus lights are gleaming bright

First of all, I had a blast at the SBA end-of-the-semester party tonight down in Five Points (Birmingham's equivalent of Nashville's Second Avenue). Though not as many of the one-ells showed up (because most of them have left already), it was still good to hang out.

It's really weird to know that I'm not going to see these people that I've been in extremely close contact with over six months at all for a few weeks. And it's especially weird to not have to be somewhere reading, studying, or writing an outline.

I guess what they say about Law School is true: it really does change you.

Tomorrow I head down to Gainesville to see my darling fiancee. She's been really stressed out about exams these past few days, and so I hope she's looking forward to seeing me as much as I'm looking forward to seeing her.

I'm going down to see her, but also to help her move: she's getting a really sweet house right across the street from the Law School at UF.

Anyway, tonight was a blast, despite the crappy weather that Birmingham is apparently going to send me home with. At least, however, I did come home to this little tidbit from the Vandy athletics website.

In 1934, Louisiana Senator Huey Long led several trainloads of LSU fans to Nashville for the LSU/Vanderbilt football game at Dudley Field. When Long returned to Baton Rouge, he was so enchanted by the ladies of Vanderbilt that he wrote and published a song about them.

Long praised the Vanderbilt co-eds with the song entitled “Miss Vandy”. The cover of the sheet music is in black and gold with a photo of Lucy Ann McGugin, daughter of Coach Dan McGugin. These are those lyrics to Miss Vandy:

The campus lights are gleaming bright at dear old Vanderbilt tonight,
And as the twinkling star light gleams,
Seeing the co-ed of my dreams,
Miss Vandy, I’m learning the charm of your smile, and
My heart is yearning for you all the while,
In every dream you seem so near,
When I awaken don’t disappear.

My thoughts keep on straying in love dreams of you,
And I keep on praying you’ll make them come true.
Everything you do brings me back to you,
Miss Vandy, you’re heaven to me, miss me.
Miss Vandy, I’m learning the charm of your smile,

And my heart is yearning for you all the while;
In every dream you seem so near,
When I awaken don’t disappear.
My thoughts keep on straying in love dreams of you,
And I keep on praying you’ll make them come true.
Everything you do brings me back to you,
Miss Vandy, you’re heaven to me, miss me.
Miss me.

What can I say, but that I agree: and, just as they did for Senator Long, a girl from Vandy stole my heart. And I get to see her tomorrow.

FEELING: Excited about seeing Kat
LISTENING TO: Huey Long's "Miss Vandy"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home