Friday, March 25, 2005

Good Friday

Today's commemoration has always struck me as misnomer. How could the Friday upon which Jesus was killed be labelled good?

The message of Good Friday is indeed bittersweet: it is today that the God of the universe, who loves us so much, gave his life that we could live eternally. Glory and honor to his name.

Here's something that my brother Jimmy Mitchell (BYX '05) sent me today:
Today, all over the world, Christians are setting aside time to meditate on the cross of Christ. But as we focus our attention on the cross today, let’s not make it a time of sadness or self-accusation. Instead, let’s turn our time of silence before the cross into a time of awe, worship, and unspeakable gratitude for all that God has done for us.

As we gaze, let us consider a central question: Why did Jesus have to die this way? The answer, of course, is for love. It was out of love that he stooped down low and gathered up each one of us in his arms. No matter what our weakness, he has overcome it by nailing it to the cross with him.

It was nothing but love that placed him on the cross: love for the Father and a deep desire that humanity share eternity with him; love for each one of us, that we be released from our bondage to sin and death. Jesus was blameless and worthy of highest exaltation. Yet he embraced God’s will and in humble obedience he freely embraced the cross so that we could share in his resurrection life. How can we not stand in awe of so high and so deep—so passionate and so true—a love?

There is nothing that we need to add to this great love. Indeed, there’s nothing that we can add to it! We can only receive. This truly is a glorious day to gaze on our Lord in love and awe and gratitude!

“Father, I am in awe of your plan of salvation. You have transformed me in Christ, and I want only to worship you today. I open my arms and my heart to receive all the spiritual blessings you long to pour into me.”

Thanks Jimmy.

"For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified" (Paul, in 1 Corinthians 2:2).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home